I Miss the Ocean

I cannot say who saw it first, but
I saw it best. Even now I can see its
lungs expanding as it reaches out to me
for something no one else can give it. It
is my crying child. It is my hungry pet. No
one else can hear its moans. It is not the
liquid I always thought it to be. It
has tricked me. It changed form
while the world slept last fall,
or maybe it was last spring.
The fluid evaporated and has
taken the shape of a limbed being.
Or maybe it is a hot wind whose limbs
withered and shriveled up in sand or
mud. Perhaps it is now a mirage.
I cannot find them anywhere,
even when I close my eyes.
My mind is of no aid. My old
heart will locate them when and
where I least expect it. My heart will
put my mind to shame. My young soul will
comfort it. I will crawl out and find life again.


Comments

Popular Posts